Boston Marathon Bombings

off topic
Angry

Boston Marathon Bombings

Post by Angry »

Hey folks,

Totally off topic, but I feel it's my duty as both an American and a Bostonian to share this with you all.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/16/us/boston ... _inthenews
ardent

Re: Boston Marathon Bombings

Post by ardent »

Yesterday's news spoke of nothing else around here. My aunt was supposed to run in that marathon, but the doctor ultimately forbade her. My sympathies to the victims and to all the people of Boston. :mhmm:
skye_sken
Site Admin

Post by skye_sken »

That sucks, man :mhmm: My sympathies.
Soda

Post by Soda »

I ran few marathons in the past, with families and friends at the finish line... I can only imagine the horror and the emotion.
All my sympathies to the victims :mhmm:
Angry

Post by Angry »

It's looking like an isolated incident not backed by any major terror group, which is good - in a way. I'm sick of the US waving our dicks all over the world.
gaspard

Post by gaspard »

Man it sucks to hear about shit like that :WTF: it's as if it is becoming a national sport with all the shootings and bombings lately. Sympathies.
I wonder what the fuck goes on in the head of an individual who sits down, rationally plans an attack against fellow human beings and then goes through with it.
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

gaspard wrote:I wonder what the fuck goes on in the head of an individual who sits down, rationally plans an attack against fellow human beings and then goes through with it.
Doubt we'd really want to know, I know I wouldn't. Shit must be sicker than... Well, a lot. Taking the step to actually do such a thing makes this person a monster in my book, not a civilized, rational human being :dead:
ardent

Post by ardent »

Today I learned that my aunt did finally go and took part in the Boston Marathon. So she was there during the explosions. Luckily, she arrived at the finish line some time before the bombs went off, so no harm came to her. But now I'm even more pissed at these terrorists, because their crimes start to affect my direct family :none:
skye_sken
Site Admin

Post by skye_sken »

I think it would be imperative that we'd understand just why. I tend to think an individual is not the enemy, and our media far too often labels such human beings as mentally unstable (which they are, sure) villains deserving only a stake and a pyre, when it rather should question a system that has the potential to mold a person to get so twisted. Then, it leads me to believe (not the only aspect of course) that there are things fundamentally wrong with our society and something needs to change for these kinds of tragedies to never happen again. Well, there are many things I could name of the top of my head we would be better off without, like machoism, competition-based respect, sexism and general disregard of other folks' feelings.

It's easy to label jihadists as crazed idiots who in their motives, hopes and dreams are alien to us, but think for a sec: their way might be the only way to fight off an aggressive, invasive force waving it's dick, slaughtering your civilians and stealing your resources in your *own* fucking country, where it should have no business being in the first place. These people have a heightened belief for Hammurabi's law (an eye for an eye), and the United States of America has been murdering their civilizans for decades (as well as the other dozen countries States has oppressed over it's LONG history of conquest and warfare). Terrorism sucks, since it affects not only the military, but civilians as well who are mostly innocent of the crimes their government commits in foreign countries. Having served my time in the Finnish military (was in fact trained a special guerilla jaeger, sissi corps), I can safely say that if some asshole invaded my country, I might do the best I could to make life a living hell for the occupiers... Eh, well maybe I wouldn't, but I can see why some folks might think so. See where I'm going? You kill my civilians, I kill yours. Whoever gets called a terrorist is dictated by the alleged winner (who controls the corrupt western media).

Of course, an individual should be responsible for his own actions, but surely everyone has a breaking point. We had two separate school shootings in Finland in the recent years. Sad events, and I agree, none of this should happen. They might have never happened if even one person would have listened to these boys, given them attention and understanding. I was abhorred if possible even more of our media's handling of them, outright labeling the perpetrators as public enemies and totally disregarding the years of torment and bullying that ultimately lead to their grim resolution, bringing forth an even more dangerous sort of hero-worship, where atrocious acts are given just the wrong kind of attention. Someone who has utterly lost the belief for a system WANTS to be the number one enemy of it.
ardent

Post by ardent »

Skye_Sken wrote:I think it would be imperative that we'd understand just why. I tend to think an individual is not the enemy, and our media far too often labels such human beings as mentally unstable (which they are, sure) villains deserving only a stake and a pyre, when it rather should question a system that has the potential to mold a person to get so twisted. Then, it leads me to believe (not the only aspect of course) that there are things fundamentally wrong with our society and something needs to change for these kinds of tragedies to never happen again. Well, there are many things I could name of the top of my head we would be better off without, like machoism, competition-based respect, sexism and general disregard of other folks' feelings.

Things are wrong with our society, no doubt about that, and while I wouldn't agree getting rid of machoism and competition altogether would be a good thing (the progress of civilisation is driven by competition - it's just the question of striking the right balance between competition and cooperation to achieve the optimal results), I agree that people generally listen too little to others and refuse to empathise with them. Actually, I think the world would be a much better place if people quit thinking they know what's best for you and if we had more love and sex. :mhmm:
It's easy to label jihadists as crazed idiots who in their motives, hopes and dreams are alien to us, but think for a sec: their way might be the only way to fight off an aggressive, invasive force waving it's dick, slaughtering your civilians and stealing your resources in your *own* fucking country, where it should have no business being in the first place. These people have a heightened belief for Hammurabi's law (an eye for an eye), and the United States of America has been murdering their civilizans for decades (as well as the other dozen countries States has oppressed over it's LONG history of conquest and warfare). Terrorism sucks, since it affects not only the military, but civilians as well who are mostly innocent of the crimes their government commits in foreign countries. Having served my time in the Finnish military (was in fact trained a special guerilla jaeger, sissi corps), I can safely say that if some asshole invaded my country, I might do the best I could to make life a living hell for the occupiers... Eh, well maybe I wouldn't, but I can see why some folks might think so. See where I'm going? You kill my civilians, I kill yours. Whoever gets called a terrorist is dictated by the alleged winner (who controls the corrupt western media).
Poles have a rich history of rebellion and defiance - and we failed at every single one of them until we decided NOT to use violence (the Solidarność movement). Hell, maybe if we weren't so damn proud and valiant in the face of certain death, maybe we'd be in an entirely different spot right now, as a nation.
In fact, Poland had been divided and annexed by three 19th century superpowers (Russia, Germany/Prussia and Austria-Hungary), and didn't exist on maps for over 120 years. And it's not in any of the three or four rebellions of this time (1795, 1830, 1846, 1863) that we've won back our freedom. It was the period that followed the 1863 uprising, during which the values of hard work, education, self-improvement and mutual economic and political support for the three divided areas were promoted. And when the time was right (1918), we had enough political impact in the West to secure Poland's recognition as a sovereign country. Nobody likes rebels and freedom fighters - it's all too easy to brand them traitors, terrorists and outlaws. But when you use the superior power of the system that oppresses you to undermine it in the right spot for long enough, it breaks, leaving enough pieces to build something better out of it.
In any case, did we learn anything? No. In 1939 Poland opposed Hitler, WWII started and we were completely and utterly destroyed in the process. Sure, those who had fallen in the field of battle defending the motherland must be honored and remembered, but when this shit happens again - fuck it, I value my life higher than my country. No ideal is worth dying or killing for, especially not the government.
Of course, an individual should be responsible for his own actions, but surely everyone has a breaking point. We had two separate school shootings in Finland in the recent years. Sad events, and I agree, none of this should happen. They might have never happened if even one person would have listened to these boys, given them attention and understanding. I was abhorred if possible even more of our media's handling of them, outright labeling the perpetrators as public enemies and totally disregarding the years of torment and bullying that ultimately lead to their grim resolution, bringing forth an even more dangerous sort of hero-worship, where atrocious acts are given just the wrong kind of attention. Someone who has utterly lost the belief for a system WANTS to be the number one enemy of it.
I agree. I still have no sympathy for them though. Other people are also bullied and tormented, but they start punk bands instead. To deal with their problems, they get creative, rather than destructive.
Angry

Post by Angry »

FBI released images of the two suspects. Both young looking white guys.
Angry

Post by Angry »

Just a little update. One of the suspects is dead and the other is on the run in the Greater Boston area after a fire-fight with police. They're both from Chechnya, Russia, and last I heard are actually brothers (madness). Boston is crazy today. A few cities are completely shut down as well as all public transit. They're busing in cops by the busload. This will probably be top 10 all time in biggest manhunts when this is all over.
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Crazy. On a just as crazy side-note, one of my mates started spawning a conspiracy theory about the matter tonight. Which is more crazy frankly.
Angry

Post by Angry »

They got him. It'll be interesting to find out in the next few days what his motives were, if any, and to observe the inevitable conspiracy theories that will arise, as you pointed out, Jinx.