Installation Woes

Questions, opinions or general chatter regarding MR.
Angry

Installation Woes

Post by Angry »

So I DLed both the demo and patch from atomicgamers and all was going swimmingly.

But I installed it to the wrong directly after clicking next instead of cancel. I went back and deleted it and tried to start all over, but now the SETUP screen has the Install button greyed out and the Play button now appears live. When I click Play, however, nothing happens. Same when I click Uninstall. Readme works, and so does Exit. Anyone know what I did?

Also, should I reinstall Fallout 2? I currently have Killap's RP, but I imagine MR wouldn't appreciate that very much. :/
ardent

Re: Installation Woes

Post by ardent »

Angry wrote:But I installed it to the wrong directly after clicking next instead of cancel. I went back and deleted it and tried to start all over, but now the SETUP screen has the Install button greyed out and the Play button now appears live. When I click Play, however, nothing happens. Same when I click Uninstall. Readme works, and so does Exit. Anyone know what I did?
The Install button is greyed out, but it still works. Click it and see what happens.
Also, should I reinstall Fallout 2? I currently have Killap's RP, but I imagine MR wouldn't appreciate that very much. :/
If you use the installer, it should create a separate folder inside your Fallout 2 folder, and thanks to this configuration, the RP and MR won't conflict and you will be able to play both (not at the same time, ofc), just by clicking the appropriate .exe file. :mhmm:
skye_sken
Site Admin

Post by skye_sken »

If I understood correctly, this problem is with the Fallout 2 installer? Does Mutants Rising even have a splash screen? This is likely a problem with the proper registry entries. In short, your machine thinks you have installed the game already, even though it's obviously a botched version. If you're up to it, you could use a registry cleaner software (ie. CCleaner) and locate the files Fallout 2 installer modifies & alter / delete them.

Thankfully, the beauty of Fallout 2 lies in it's simplicity. If you want to have the easy solution, just copy master.dat, critter.dat, fallout2.exe and the whole data file from your Fallout 2 CD into your computer onto another directory. Then you should create a text file that reads all of these:

Code: Select all

[sound]
music_path1=c:\games\fallout2\data\sound\music\
music_path2=(CDROM):\data\sound\music\

[system]
critter_dat=c:\games\fallout2\critter.dat
critter_patches=c:\games\fallout2\data
master_dat=c:\games\fallout2\master.dat
master_patches=c:\games\fallout2\data
Of course, you should change the location lines above to correspond to wherever you happened to copy the earlier files to. Then save the file as fallout2.cfg. I'm not 100% sure even this is required, as the Mutants Rising installer might create a .cfg of it's own, but hey, do it regardless. After this is done, just install MR with the installer to the same folder as these files you've copied.
ardent

Post by ardent »

If I understood correctly, this problem is with the Fallout 2 installer? Does Mutants Rising even have a splash screen?
The demo had an installer along with a splash screen and everything :boing: Thanks to Lexx for that!

Going with the register wipe sounds like an overkill - the installer might just handle everything right, if you click Install (be it greyed out or not) and follow the instructions. If that doesn't work, then do what Skye said.
TorontRayne

Post by TorontRayne »

I'm having some issues myself. I'm getting the rainbow problem that Fallout 2 has with Windows 7. Whenever I try to run in compatibility mode with 256 colors it gives me an error and backs me out. When I play normal it's rainbowfied. I'm unsure on what to do from this point if the normal fix won't work.
skye_sken
Site Admin

Post by skye_sken »

The widescreen mod should fix the issue. Uh, actually you could try and change the resolution in Mutants Rising, it should have the resolution toggle inbuilt in the options panel.

If this won't work, you could try the magic trick: alt+tab from Fallout 2 to desktop, then left click and open the screen resolution tab. Drag it anywhere, leave it open and return back to the game. Do this a couple of times if it doesn't work at first. I have no idea what this is all about, but for me it sometimes fixes the problem if nothing else helps.
TorontRayne

Post by TorontRayne »

Got it to work, played through it, and enjoyed it. Only complaint I had was the guy doing the voice for Cassidy was obviously much younger than the character. Still though, great voice acting. I did get locked in the Counselor's room after he left it too. Had to pick my way out. Of course, I'm sure you already know of that bug, as I do recall reading about it before. Look forward to working with you folks! Nice job so far.
ardent

Post by ardent »

TorontRayne wrote:Got it to work, played through it, and enjoyed it.
Very glad to hear it :smil2:
Only complaint I had was the guy doing the voice for Cassidy was obviously much younger than the character. Still though, great voice acting.
Yeah, that was Dravean (you might know him from NMA - he's the writer for the RP). At the time, the RP was supposed to have voiced dialogue for Cassidy as an optional feature and Dravean was to be the voice, so we asked him to do our Cassidy as well, to have a nice continuity between F2 and MR. Too bad the RP voice over never came to fruition (unless Killap has some surprises up his sleeve for the upcoming release). I must admit, I've heard Dravean as Cassidy in MR so many times, the voice grew on me and I can't imagine having any other actor do it, really.
I did get locked in the Counselor's room after he left it too. Had to pick my way out. Of course, I'm sure you already know of that bug, as I do recall reading about it before. Look forward to working with you folks! Nice job so far.
Yes, that's been corrected after the patch I think.
Angry

Post by Angry »

Got it all sorted out. Greyed out Install button still worked :).