Mutants Rising for Mac

Questions, opinions or general chatter regarding MR.
Anale

Mutants Rising for Mac

Post by Anale »

Is the mod going to be able to run on the Mac version of Fallout 2 or is a Windows version required? If this has been covered somewhere already, please direct me to it. Thanks.
cp

Re: Mutants Rising for Mac

Post by cp »

Is the mod going to be able to run on the Mac version of Fallout 2 or is a Windows version required? If this has been covered somewhere already, please direct me to it. Thanks.
This is not something that we have even discussed internally. I believe we are all using MR on windows pc's. (though someone on the team may not be so they may join in the conversation later).

I don't use a mac / nor do I have access to one. We may offer mac support towards the end of the development if it is popular.

I have added the request to our internal list of things to look into. :run:
Anale

Post by Anale »

Just to update on this I haven't really been able to get the demo to work. The main menu and loading pictures / videos are changed but as soon as I finish character creation the starting cutscene from Fallout 2 plays and then my character appears in the center of a completely black screen and an error message saying:

"The instruction at 0000028f referenced memory at 0000028f
The memory could not be written

Click on OK to terminate the application"

I'll keep trying to get it to work but I'm not really the best person for it. Just for a bit of background I'm using WINE with what I believe is the patched (it says 1.1 on the main menu before I install Mutants Rising) Windows version of the game.
Lexx

Post by Lexx »

This can be either due to the Mac being unable to read the patch000.dat's content or because Sfall doesn't work. Sfall is a windows thing and without it, quite a few features won't work anymore in any case.
BradlyM

Post by BradlyM »

Lexxe wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:20 pm This can be either due to the Mac being unable to read the patch000.dat's content or because Sfall doesn't work. Sfall is a windows thing and without it, quite a few features won't work anymore in any case.
I'm a pc user getting a mac soon. Does the game work on mac these days?
Last edited by BradlyM on Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
ardent

Post by ardent »

BradlyM wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 am I'm a pc user getting a mac soon. Does the game work on mac these days?
I don't think anybody tested it. There's a chance that if your copy of F2 works on a Mac, then the mod should as well, unless there are some significant structural changes to the game on a Mac system (which I sincerely doubt).
Lexx

Post by Lexx »

Actually, it very likely won't work unless latest Sfall release works on a Mac (which I doubt). You might be able to start it, but sooner or later there *will* be game breaking bugs.
mgreenspan

Post by mgreenspan »

I just installed it today with success. It works on Mac if you run Fallout 2 thru Wineskin. I would suggest getting the files from wherever you want for the game then going thru these sites and threads to figure out how to get it to work. Depends on what Mac you're using but some finagling and you'll eventually succeed. I am running it on the newest version of winery, killap's RP, sfall, and hi-res patch.

http://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-i ... +Installer

https://gist.github.com/robatron/59f7d6c5c8d1abe91e47

http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/F2RP_ ... _Info#WINE

http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/f2-r ... ne.193465/

Installing Mutants Rising is pretty easy after that. You just do exactly what the readmetext says to do and it'll work. I can't get it to play in anything but 640x480 which is annoying. The other problem I'm having now is that the player runs and walks slowly and switching between the movement icon and the use cursor is incredibly slow. Maybe 1/2 the speed it should be. Can't figure out how to adjust this. Does anybody have a clue?