What do you think about the mod?

Questions, opinions or general chatter regarding MR.
wild_qwerty

Re: What do you think about the mod?

Post by wild_qwerty »

Good to see the news post guys :)

You need to update the status % complete on the website though so people can see that you are making progress. Also remember to add the teddy bear gun into the game.
flaz

Post by flaz »

wild_qwerty wrote:Also remember to add the teddy bear gun into the game.
It saddens me that the bubble gum shield didn't make the cut.
John Hancock

Post by John Hancock »

I think Mutants Rising looks absolutely fantastic. I've been playing the original games more-or-less annually since 1997/1998, and I'm incredibly excited about what I've seen so far. The new artwork is particularly impressive, surely at least equal in quality to the original Black Isle Studios artwork. (In all fairness, we have the benefit of far more powerful computer art tools these days, but good art comes only from good artists — no matter what tools they use to create their art.)

What little I've seen of the writing looks good, too. I hope you guys manage to successfully capture the darkly humorous essence and atmosphere of the originals, while still writing in your own personal style. I also hope you've got a few good proofreaders on hand; I'd volunteer, but I'm far too selfish. I don't want to spoil the game for myself! However, I will enthusiastically participate in reporting bugs and typos post-release.

As far as I'm concerned, this will be the real Fallout 3, better even than Van Buren would have been. I didn't like the direction they were taking with Van Buren, particularly engine-wise... but that was during the era of computer gaming when developers felt forced to develop in 3D, so I suppose I can't blame them. I love the old isometric backgrounds and clay-modeled sprites. They've aged well.

Here's hoping for a spectacular, relatively bug-free release! This will be the first "sequel-quality" Fallout mod to have actually succeeded. Hats off to you, ladies and gentlemen of the Mutants Rising team. Grampy Bone be tellin' we and I this gon' be great thing, loooong time a-comin', well worth de waitin'.
ardent

Post by ardent »

We thank for the very kind words, Grampy Bone and yourself :wink: We're doing our best.
Rille66

Post by Rille66 »

I got a great feeling about this mod, hard to put my finger on why i feel this way. Played fallout when it was released in the late -90, more or less by a coinsidence. Didnt play much video/cpu games but where/ and are a sucker for movies, especially scfi, postapocalyptic, black humor ones.. So naturally i loved Fallout. Looking forward too playing Mutants Rising soon!
And ofcorse you sholudnt spare on any explicit parts, humor,language,sexual or evil themes, haha. It some of the parts that made the game(s) so great!

greetings from sweden
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Oh believe you me, there will certainly be evil themes. Thanks for the vote of confidence; every little bit of encouragement and show of interest helps.

Greetings back from Sweden :nin:
Soda

Post by Soda »

Hey Guys!

Merry Christmas and thanks for the nice piece
of artwork on your frontpage.

Best wishes to the scripters for the last 10% ;)

We (well, I) believe in you !

--
Aguirre
Last edited by Soda on Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cp

Post by cp »

Best whises to the scripters for the last 10% ;)

We (well, I) believe in you !
Thanks! Its nice to know we have a couple of fans left!
Equilerex
Site Admin

Post by Equilerex »

and pretty nice to know that someone actually checks the front page :ugly: (well, according to google a lot do but who knows for sure...)

glad you liked the card, keep watching and merry christmas! :boing:
Soda

Post by Soda »

Oh, there's a question I forgot to ask :

From what I have read on NMA, the expansion pack will see the light day, isn't it ?
But will it be shipped with the release candidate version, as a kind of "Enhanced MR"
or, will we have the vanilla version first then (when it will be done) the expansion pack
(who's talking about DLC ? ;))

Anyway, happy new year guys !

--
Aguirre
cp

Post by cp »

The expansion pack is planned if the team stick around once the vanilla game is done. :lolz:

It will feature three new towns and upgrades to current towns that we've been discussing recently.

EDIT

To clarify properly. The expansion pack will come much later than MR (and only if it has good reception) Some maps are actually completed but no scripted etc... as of yet. What would really halp is a bigger team - we need more members.

On a related note - nice to see the public forum in use.
ahhhhhh

Post by ahhhhhh »

There's only the one demo isn't there? I just played it and was amazed by how professional it was, even if the conversations/missions didn't always add up. In terms of atmosphere, though, the whole mutant raid thing was pretty damn cinematic- more than anything I can think of (right now at least...) in FO1 and 2, in fact. I know it's changed a lot, but is that still in there? Anyway, I was having a blast right up until a fire-breathing molech blasted me...

(One thing- aside from scripting issues- are there some slightly less aggro conversational options in it now? Some conversations seemed to turn into insult-a-thons...)
ahhhhhh

Post by ahhhhhh »

Oh, yeah, and in terms of add-ons... I had a thought about the coolest of cool Fallout bad guys- the Witchfinder General. A terrifying dude in power armour and a broad-brimmed hat, riding round with his posse on a mission to clear out all trace of mutation. 'Suffer not the mutant to live' and other fun lines, insta-DNA testing with plasma pistol at the ready, burning of whole settlements... and against him, a bunch of runaway mutants. Of course, for absolute ultimateness, some of those mutants should have some crazy psychic abilities going on...
ardent

Post by ardent »

ahhhhhh wrote:There's only the one demo isn't there? I just played it and was amazed by how professional it was, even if the conversations/missions didn't always add up. In terms of atmosphere, though, the whole mutant raid thing was pretty damn cinematic- more than anything I can think of (right now at least...) in FO1 and 2, in fact. I know it's changed a lot, but is that still in there? Anyway, I was having a blast right up until a fire-breathing molech blasted me...
The game is much, much better now than the original demo was. The mutant attack is still there though.
(One thing- aside from scripting issues- are there some slightly less aggro conversational options in it now? Some conversations seemed to turn into insult-a-thons...)
There's completely new dialogue for the whole of Elko.
Oh, yeah, and in terms of add-ons... I had a thought about the coolest of cool Fallout bad guys- the Witchfinder General. A terrifying dude in power armour and a broad-brimmed hat, riding round with his posse on a mission to clear out all trace of mutation. 'Suffer not the mutant to live' and other fun lines, insta-DNA testing with plasma pistol at the ready, burning of whole settlements... and against him, a bunch of runaway mutants. Of course, for absolute ultimateness, some of those mutants should have some crazy psychic abilities going on..
Uhmm... no, thanks. (but that's just my opinion)
Jinx

Post by Jinx »

Oh, yeah, and in terms of add-ons... I had a thought about the coolest of cool Fallout bad guys- the Witchfinder General. A terrifying dude in power armour and a broad-brimmed hat, riding round with his posse on a mission to clear out all trace of mutation. 'Suffer not the mutant to live' and other fun lines, insta-DNA testing with plasma pistol at the ready, burning of whole settlements... and against him, a bunch of runaway mutants. Of course, for absolute ultimateness, some of those mutants should have some crazy psychic abilities going on..
Sorry ahhhhhh, but that's just a bit too much warhammer 40k style for my tastes when it comes to Fallout. Personally I do love the 40k universe though. But believe you me, when this baby sees the light of day, there will be more than enough post-apocalyptic love to go around for miles, so that 40k appetite of yours will ahve to be satisfied by Chaos Rising and Retribution... Sorry people, but I do believe I've hade a bit of :vodka: :vodka: tonisght and are more than drunk. Good night,.
ahhhhhh

Post by ahhhhhh »

Jinx wrote:
Sorry ahhhhhh, but that's just a bit too much warhammer 40k style for my tastes when it comes to Fallout. Personally I do love the 40k universe though.
Ha, guilty as charged, I think... although I haven't played anything 40k in many years. To go (relatively) respectably literary, I was also thinking about fun/scary stuff like the Bible in John Wyndham's The Chrysalids. Can't remember exactly how it went, but it's something like 'On the sixth day God created man, and man had five fingers on each hand and five toes on each foot'. That whole runaway mutants in a post-nuclear world thing was great fun.
Frank

Post by Frank »

What I think about the mod? It's awesome. ;) You guys are a good example that even lows in terms of motivation won't stop to get a mod closer to the "complete"-status. It's a good inspiration for me, and I think I can speak for many people that we're eager to finally hold the game in our hands (well, the mb on the harddrive ;P). Godspeed, fellow modders! :)
ardent

Post by ardent »

Thanks for the appreciation and encouraging words, Frank! We're getting there; slowly, but steadily.
Sula

Post by Sula »

Cannot wait for the mod.

I am one of quiet followers.

Not played demo cause I wait for finished product and don't wanna to play only a part of adventure :)

So keep good work guys.

One thing I am concerned with - scripts are ready in 46% only at least that what website is saying and usually in mod projects that is what take longest time :(

Anyway good luck - I hope MR will finally arrive after all those years.
.Pixote.

Post by .Pixote. »

You should play it, it's just a small sample, a taste of what is coming...mind you there is still a lot of work ahead. :mhmm: